Wednesday, February 22, 2012

OMG

Jan just got in from her guild meeting tonight.  This is a group of long arm quilters, mostly newbies, who started up a year ago and meet to exchange knowledge.  They asked Jan to help them start the guild and hoped she’d hang around and lend her business and long arm expertise.  As usual, Jan’s having too much fun to leave.

Tonight she took all those quilts in the last post to Karen, the liaison to TLC, the home for the quilts.  This guild meets in Karen’s quilt shop, so all the quilts were held up and admired again.  Then Karen told the group how Jan had approached her to make quilts for TLC and expanded the offer from crib size to bed size, and these were the bed sized quilts.  Then Jan explained how her sister had made 188 crib size quilt tops to be turned into charity quilts, and she had about 80 of them quilted.  Then Karen presented Jan with these five inch squares to go behind my chair.

Then Jan pulled up Cup on the Bus and everyone gathered around and read the last post.  They all looked at the empty drawer full of kitty.  Then everyone present said they would bring another 100 five inch blocks to the next meeting to go behind my chair.  And other long arm ladies said bring some of those tops that still need quilted, we’ll do them.  Can you believe it?

10 comments:

  1. I think everyone will be happy about this except the cat, who's lost a spot to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of them! And, of course, how nice of you and your sister in the first place.

    I had to look up long arm quilting in wikipedia. I thought it was just an endearing term for regular hand quilting. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is heartwarming. There are some wonderful people in this world and you and Jan are two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely. I am so happy about this, though my feline fondness does mean that I also feel a (tiny) bit sorry for the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how little squares of cloth can bring so much joy to those who work with them and those who receive the finished product. Little things make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked up long-arm quilting on Wikipedia too. It's great that you gals can create so many useful quilts with the use of it. I'm sure many of those quilts become treasures to the recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a closet quilter myself...well I don't quilt in the closet,but I am self taught by watching my mother in law. Quilting for charity is both spiritual, creative,and social for me. Definitely not guild quality but sometimes I stop by our local guild and stitch awhile. Thanks for stopping by my blog. http://themedicaremom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even simple squares sewn together and tied make such a special gift to anyone. My mother cherished her lap quilt so much; I had to repair it many times over the few years she had it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some great ladies you have up there!!! I recall a similar quilt we had when I was growing up that my mom, her mom, and her sisters prolly made on the farm when they were growing up in Wisconsin as the farmhouse was full of them.

    I really have to head up there to see your creations this summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete