Wednesday, February 22, 2012

TLC

My sister’s new quilt donation project is Transitional Living Center, actually two group homes in Medina County.  They house ninety six severely and profoundly mentally retarded adults.  I don’t want to imagine being the caregiver there, the pain and the joy, day in, day out, a career that probably does not span the life of one of the residents.  What comfort the homes must bring to relatives who remain involved with their children or siblings in the homes.

I just finished quilt top 188 for Jan’s original Pregnancy Care project.  She has “contained the chaos” and finished out six of them into twin bed size to go to TLC, plus one she made.  Three have gone.  She just finished binding  one last night.  I’m almost sorry my hands can no longer control a needle enough to help with the finish needle work.  Almost.  I can still wield knitting needles.  And type.
Jan came back from a guild meeting last week with more donated fabric for the quilts. Apparently this job will never go away. That’s fine. Work is a blessing. Here are the TLC quilts completed.














This drawer used to be filled front to back, top to bottom with five inch squares.  Now a resourceful cat can pull it open and get it.  Not because he needs to, but because he wants to.



Since the containing chaos project is slowing, I’m taking some time to put together a quilt for Caroline, for her new bedroom.  Carol’s bear is guarding the blocks,  paper pieced snowflakes. There will be lots of sashings, but no borders!



13 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts made by beautiful people. Those snowflakes are incredibly lovely.

    I do like the way cats like to be 'contained', our girls try baskets, drawers, and seed trays - not a great choice when they have seedlings in them! Toby looks so very serious - or is that his innocent expression?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His fat walrus moustach droops down and gives him a dour expresion. He's perpetually in trouble, so it works well.

      Delete
  2. All of these are beautiful, although I especially like the third one - it has a rather unusual combination of colours. The snowflakes are beautiful too.

    I'm a relatively new reader, enjoying your archives at the moment. I'm reading them a few at a time so it's taking awhile to get caught up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and welcome. Stop by as often as you can.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quilts....so much work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is marvelous that you quilt. They are beautiful and are pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest daughter has worked for many years at a group home for mentally handicapped adults. She told me there was a pair of older female twins at the house. I asked her if they were very different. She said, "Yeah, one will attack you from the front and the other will attack you from the back." In spite of myself, I found that terribly funny. It is not a job for the faint of heart and I really admire her taking on such a difficult job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad. They need a home. It takes a very special person. The woman who coordinates the quilts refers to them as abandonded. The least we can do...

      Delete
  6. Beautiful quilts for a beautiful cause. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting is truly inspirational. Beautiful quilts for a very worthwhile cause. I'm glad you explained about your cat in the drawer, though. I wondered if that was where you filed everything under 'C'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are all so beautiful! I would love to sleep under any one of them. so grand that you make them to give away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What precious quilts these are. # 4 and 5 are my favorite. I am about to start on a baby quilt for my youngest daughter (having a boy!).

    ReplyDelete