Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The color of shows

I spent the weekend with Linda at 100 American Craftsmen, a show put on by the Kenan Center in Lockport, New York.  The show is held at the Kenan Arena on the grounds.  The organization’s operations are centered in a huge old mansion sitting in the middle of several square blocks of huge old homes. 

Poor Linda cruised the streets while I took pictures, just like the Google Earth guys.  Sadly, she never got me on the right side to snap the best Harry Potter house of all.  All the roof lines curve, like the lines of a canoe.  Down in the middle, up at the ends.  I need to read some history of Lockport before I write about the houses.  Here’s the Kenan Center Arena.

In spite of the hard work, I enjoy watching a show come together.  All the packing crates and displays come out of the aisles and go up as booths, looking our very best. 

The public is coming to the show to have a good time, and it’s our job to provide it.  We put up our best booth; we put on our best face and meet the people.

I get to be the quiet person in the back of the booth; I tie up the rugs and tell the person who’s going to take it home to walk on it, “Sling it over your shoulder.’

I also get to people watch.  Customers do come to have a good time.  They wear happy clothes and happy shoes.



I never saw this exhibitor stand still.  She could be e.e. cummings, “up so many floating bells down.”

Two darling girls who were happy to show off their back packs.

I do hope you didn’t already scroll to the prize.  I looked up and was dazzled by two little red heads.  I asked mama if I could take a picture.  The little one turned away, shyly.  The big sister convinced her.


9 comments:

  1. I'm just bowled over by that hair - they are both so cute. Just as well you were quiet at the back of the stall - you'd have missed all those photo-ops! Beautiful rugs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the houses you took shots of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Looking forward to see the houses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have such a soft spot for red heads.

    Looks like you had a great time at the back of that stall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. red heads are becoming rare, so good to see the two of them and looking forward to the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting. I do enjoy being in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne,
    I so enjoyed this post, felt like I had taken a side trip. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate that! Please send me a story for the Not Your Mother's Book...On Family. The Deadline is October. Please pass the word on to others???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great. I love to people watch and be in the background. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pair of redheads are just darling!

    ReplyDelete